Friday, June 5, 2015

Homemade Chocolate Fried Pies!

Now, I've had a couple of chocolate fried pie recipes on my blog before. One was an "easy"way, the other slightly more work. Neither one of the recipes was my actual family recipe that no one can seem to remember, lol. But, by George, I think I've got it now!

(Terrible picture, but I'm no professional!)

Chocolate Fried Pies
Crust:
3 cups plain flour
1 cup shortening
1 tsp salt
1 egg (beaten)
1 tsp vinegar
12 tbsp. ice water

Filling:
3 cups sugar
9 tbsp. cocoa
1 tsp salt
Melted Butter
Directions:
Combine flour, shortening, and salt with pastry blender. Mix egg, vinegar, and ice water in separate bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix with pastry blender. Finish mixing with hands. Mix sugar, cocoa, and salt in separate bowl, set aside.  Take 2" balls of dough and roll out into 6-7" circles on floured surface. Brush with melted butter. Add 2 tbsp. cocoa powder to center. Fold one side over cocoa and seal edges with fork. Place each pie in freezer paper and onto a baking sheet. Store for a few hours or overnight in freezer. When ready to fry, heat oil in an iron skillet and drop in frozen pie. Fry on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

9 comments:

  1. They look real pretty. I've never had a chocolate fried pie before. I make apricot fried pies and they go quick! I've always rolled out biscuits, but your dough recipe looks like it might be even better. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good! Dub's in Athens used to have wonderful fried pies that they made in store - now they are frozen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds so good. TOO good. Begone temptress!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are amazing, I got the recipe from an 87 yr old client of mine. I was skeptical...until I tried one! Deep South deliciousness!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is the liquid that goes in the choc mixture? Recipe does not seem complete. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no liquid added. This is not a pudding filling. I recommend this recipe because the filling tastes just like the ones my mom made.

      Delete
  6. How do you prevent the chocolate filling from becoming grainy?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you prevent the chocolate from being grainy?

    ReplyDelete