Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Peanut Harvest 2012!

 Today was the last day of peanut harvest! Yay! Here's some pictures from our time in the field!
(inverting peanuts) 
We had 160 acres of peanuts altogether.

 (inverting peanuts)
Half of our acres were Spanish (the red-skinned peanuts) and the other half were Runners (normal peanuts).

 And of course, Reed had to ride!
 (combining)
We averaged over 4,000 lbs of peanuts per acre, which is pretty good.
Combining peanuts is a very dusty job!
If you would like to learn more about harvesting peanuts, click here. Here are some peanut harvest videos too!
 
FYI: When full, one of these trailers holds enough peanuts to make 324,000 peanut butter sandwiches!
 
 We normally fill up three a day! That's a lotta pb sammiches!

And the last picture of peanut harvest this year...Thanks to Hurricane Sandy, it made for one windy day!


1 comment:

  1. I love me some Spanish peanuts! When I was little, mom would buy me my own personal can.
    I'm sure its hard work, thanks for harvesting such great nuts!

    ReplyDelete