We had quite an interesting day today. Some of it was planned, some of it wasn't planned.
We finally got the peanut combine that we have been waiting for since January! There have been so many days that it was supposed to be delivered and it wasn't, that we were extremely happy to see it. We were worried that we would be picking peanuts by hand!
Here's the front of it. It's pto driven and is pulled by a tractor. It's an Amadas combine, John Deere doesn't make a peanut combine like this. I'm considering painting it green.
We also got our peanut dump cart delivered. The combine empties the peanuts into the dump cart, the cart drives to where the peanut trailer is parked, and dumps the load into the trailer.
Here's a picture of the peanut inverter. We've had it for a while, but I don't think I've shared a picture. This is what digs the peanuts out of the ground. It plows under the peanuts, cuts the taproot, and the peanut plants are carried up a set of roller chains. When the peanuts reach the back of the plow, a set of v-shaped rollers combine two rows into one, and the inverter spring rods "invert" or flip the peanuts upside down. The peanuts are on top so they can dry out until they get combined 2-3 days later.
Here's what some of our peanuts look like now. This variety is called "Georgia Green". We should be inverting them in the next few days!
We have also finally started defoliating our cotton! The defoliant makes the cotton shed it's leaves, and a boll opener does just what it sounds like, makes the cotton bolls open.
If it weren't for the heavy rains this Spring and having to plant the cotton so late, this would have been done one month ago.
This is the cotton field right behind our chicken houses. It has just been defoliated.
Well, that was the good news of the day. The bad news occurred when I got home from the chicken houses this morning. I was cleaning the shower when Lance called and told me that our new house had been broken into. Whoever it was entered through a window that had been left open due to an extension cord running through it. They stole some of our builder's drills, drill bits, batteries, and a battery charger. They didn't get his big expensive tools because it looks like they had to carry it all out the window by hand. They stole $130 worth of our light fixtures, which hadn't been installed yet, and a medicine cabinet. They loaded it all up in our builder's wheelbarrow and wheeled it away! It wasn't enough to meet our insurance deductible, so looks like we'll be buying those lights all over again!
It's times like these when you're glad that you're best buddy is by your side!
Anyways, in better news...Here's some updated pictures of the house!
The painted tray ceiling/crown molding in the living room.
The "in-progress" tiling of the jacuzzi. The tile is called "Canyon Slate". All our bathroom floors have also been tiled with a color called "Raw Linen."
Bathroom cabinets and countertops have been installed. The countertop is called "Colorado Slate". None of this is as dark as it looks!
Our bookcases were just finished and set around the fireplace.
And here's the steps in our garage!
Hopefully we will wake up tomorrow with everything that belongs to us!