Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Meal Fit for a King...

Or at least two hungry farmers! I fed Lance and his Uncle Jim supper tonight. The menu consisted of Twice Baked BBQ Potatoes, Blackeyed Peas with Chow Chow, Roasted Rosemary Veggies, Yeast Rolls, and for dessert, Chocolate Skillet Pie.




This is the kind of meal that makes you put on your sweatpants and break out the fine china!








Here is my Twice Baked BBQ Potatoes!

Just add shredded meat, cheese, butter, and salt! Now normally, to save time, I cook my potatoes in the microwave, but due to a series of small explosions, these were cooked in the oven.



Roasted Rosemary Veggies

This recipe came from Barb at http://gritsglamour.blogspot.com/. I used squash, zuchinni, and carrots. Just chop them up, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, poke them in the oven for 15 minutes at 400 degrees, and about halfway through cooking, sprinkle with rosemary.


Yummy!

Sorry about the peas, I had devoured about half of them before I remember to take a picture!



Don't forget dessert!


I think my meringue should be more poofy. My meringue is never as poofy as it should be. Maybe its because I get tired of holding the mixer. Anyways, this is another iron skillet recipe from my new cookbook (http://thelifeofafarmerswife.blogspot.com/2009/04/iron-skillet-mania.html)

Chocolate Skillet Pie

1 deep (8") pie shell, baked

1 cup sugar

1 rounded tablespoon flour

3 tablespoons cocoa

3 egg yolks

1 cup milk

1 heaping tablespoon butter

1 tablespoon vanilla

Meringue:

3 egg whites

6 tablespoons sugar

Mix together sugar, flour, and cocoa. Set aside. Slightly beat egg yolks in another mixing bowl and add milk. Melt butter in deep iron skillet, then stir in the sugar, flour, cocoa mixture. Remove from heat and stir in the liquids. Return skillet to heat and cook on medium heat until very thick. This will take about 15 to 20 minutes. Add vanilla. Pour into baked pie crust. Preheat oven to 325. To make meringue, beat egg whites until stiff in a glass or metal mixing bowl. Beat in sugar, one tablespoon at a time. Spread over pie. Bake until meringue is slightly brown.

6 comments:

  1. **AHEM**......still looking for that "lost" invitation........

    Anyway, I'm glad you found Barb at G&G....she has so many great ideas!! You should look up Pioneer Woman, too (she's got a link on my blog too)....she has some "to die for" recipes too, made especially for her cowboy hubby!

    Everything looks fantastic....even the non-poofy meringue.

    {{{HUGS}}}

    Robin :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph, for great meringue, the egg whites need to be slightly warm -- not right out of the fridge. Also, if you have a whisk attachment for your mixer, it's much faster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omigosh, I'm so glad I found your blog!! You've got me on your sidebar..thank you so much. First of all, your header makes me crazy with nostalgia, I'm getting a little misty. My father was born and raised in the Florida panhandle and they were peanut, sugar cane and cotton farmers. I miss the sight of those cotton fields.

    Your dinner looks positively wonderful and of course, the plates are the best. I live about 30 miles from the John Deere Historic Site. Come up and visit me and I'll take you out there.

    The merinque??? Like Texas Race Lady said, the egg whites need to be at room temp, also add a small amount of Cream of Tartar. Make sure the bowl has no residual oil because that will kill the meringue. Beat with one of those whisk attachments. I'm going to try the pie recipe for sure.

    - Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmm...It all looks SOOO good. I will definately be stealing some of those recipes! I bet you had two VERY happy farmers on your hands! Have a great week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh-The Pioneer Woman's site is GREAT. She has SUPER EASY stuff that is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete